Hiatus House is a social service agency offering confidential intervention for families experiencing domestic violence.
A mathematical term that means "break in the circle." Hiatus House is a vital social service agency breaking the cycle of domestic violence.
- An increasingly visible social and legal problem wherein women are abused by their partners. One in four women in Ontario are abused:
- Forms of abuse include:
- psychological / emotional
- property and pets
- physical and sexual
- A problem with wide-ranging ramifications for the abused woman, her child and partner including:
- the physical and emotional survival of all individuals within the family or relationship
- the future of the family as a unit
- the effect of violence on the children
- the reluctance and discomfort of revealing the abuse to: family, friends, medical, social agencies, legal and police personnel and members of the clergy
- the difficulties encountered on leaving home and partner, taking the children and obtaining financial and emotional support as well as housing
- the obstacles in quickly obtaining legal and social services
"Peace in Society depends
upon peace in the family."
- St. Augustine
Hiatus House is committed to providing people with disabilities access to agency programs and services in a manner that respects their dignity and independence.
Record the Names of Police Officers
Attempt to Preserve any Evidence of
Seek Medical Attention